Saturday 28 August 2010

EVOLUTION IN ACTION...



The above pic is a B&W copy of a colour cartoon for a proposed ad for a local restaurant, which I did some years ago.  (It's a shame I no longer have a colour copy 'cos it was quite nice.)  However, rarely does a cartoon (or any illustration for that matter) spring full-blown from the hand of its creator; it usually undergoes a process of development 'til the finished result is reached.  Let me show you what I mean.

The following picture is the original 'rough' suggesting the idea.  This is to show the prospective client what one has in mind.  (I say 'prospective client', but in actual fact I was doing a 'favour' for the owner 'cos I knew him.  You'll know the old saying "There's no such thing as a free lunch" - well, this is the proof of that saying.  I was going to get paid paid for it, but it's something I was only doing to accommodate a request.)


Below is another rough of the proposed final drawing - this is essentially what I'm aiming for.


And now the finished line artwork.  I added the restaurant's logo to the tablecloth and then coloured it with acrylic inks. The finished picture was very effective, but unfortunately I gave it to someone, so only the B&W and grey copy at the top of the page remains in my possession.  You'll just have to imagine it in colour - the guy has a blue suit and the girl has a red dress, if that's any help.  Trust me - it was nice.


And guess what?  After all that work, I decided to abandon the project when my fee was questioned, so it never saw print.  Just another day in the life of a cartoonist, eh?

No comments:



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...