Monday 29 August 2011

MIGHTY MARVEL MAGIC...


Copyright MARVEL COMICS

For no other reason than that it's a brilliant cover from my youth, above is The MIGHTY WORLD Of MARVEL #9, pencilled by JIM STARLIN and inked (it looks to me, but I'm guessing) by JOE SINNOTT.  Dated December 2nd 1972, it actually went on sale the previous week on November 25th, which was the day I saw a double bill of JAMES BOND movies starring SEAN CONNERY at my local cinema.  Weren't we Brits spoiled?  KIRBY and DITKO art on classic stories of HULKSPIDER-MAN and FANTASTIC FOUR, all scripted by the one and only STAN LEE - all in one comic for only 5p.

Ah, those were the days.

6 comments:

Steve Does Comics said...

I love it. I always preferred Tyrannus to the Mole Man.

Kid said...

And so did Tyrannus!

Nick Caputo said...

Hi Kid,

I love your blog. I just discovered it and look forward to catching up on your posts. I also greatly enjoy seeing Marvel's British editions and was thrilled to dicover how many covers Jim Starlin did for them some years back, many of which I id'ed for the GCD. I also noticed a great many covers by Rich Buckler, and even a few by Dick Ayers. I hope you post and discuss more on this area in the future.

And yes, this cover was inked by Joe Sinnott.

Kid said...

Thanks Nick. Funnily enough, I love YOUR blog too, Weren't some of those British covers by Starlin really something?

Nick Caputo said...

I love those Starlin covers as well. I'm surprised so little is mentioned about them, including by Starlin himself. BTW, I've heard that somene is supposedly writing a book on British Marvels, do you know anything about it?

Kid said...

I do, yes. I'll have to check, but if I remember correctly, it's being written by a fella called Rob Kirby. I think I'm going to get a mention in it - as are quite a few other people.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...