Sunday 21 August 2011

"I'VE GOT A SON I NEVER KNEW I HAD!"



I found this old photo of myself the other day, taken circa 1979 or '80.  It puts me in mind of something BOB HOPE said when I saw him perform at The EDINBURGH PLAYHOUSE in October 1984.  During the show, he quipped, "Every Saturday night, myself, George BurnsMilton Berle and a couple of older guys get together at my house and hold a seance. We all sit around a table, clasping hands... and try and contact the LIVING!"  (Bob was in his eighties at that time.) Then he said, "I'm so old that whenever I catch one of my old movies on late-night TV, it's like watching a son I never knew I had."

Looking at the above photo, I know exactly how he feels.  Just who is that younger, better-looking guy?  (And look at that shirt-collar. Did we really dress like that back then - or was it just me?) Incidentally, the photo was taken about 20 years before the one in the right-hand side (from your perspective) column at the top of the page.

******


And, in case you're interested, it was a great show that night and Bob was on top form.  "People keep asking me what sex is like at 80," he drolled.  "I tell 'em GREAT - but it's even better if you pull over to the side of the road!"  And there's more.  "Did you folks hear about the doctor who was arrested for making love to one of his patients?", enquired the comedy legend.  A pause, then the punchline... "What's worse is - the guy's a TREE SURGEON!" 

No comments:



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...