Wednesday 21 December 2011

DENNIS'S FIRST CHRISTMAS...


Image copyright D.C. THOMSON & Co., Ltd

The above three-quarter page strip from 1951 was the first one to feature DENNIS The MENACE in a 'Christmas' setting. That this was early in his BEANO career is attested by his diminutive size.  Later on, when artist DAVEY LAW was under pressure, Dennis became elongated because of the speed at which Law was compelled to draw him.  He eventually shrank back down a bit, but here's the Menace before he first gained the look that made him appear as if he'd been on the rack.

2 comments:

Terranova47 said...

What a treat! This was the year I first read comics, a Beano & Dandy found on the lawn of Finsbury Park in north London. This actual strip had me asking my dad what Top Hats meant?

I'm delighted to be reading old entries to this blog and finding this.

Kid said...

And I'm delighted that you're delighted, T47. Long may it be so.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...