Saturday 10 March 2012

A FISHY TALE OF FOUR (NOW FIVE) SUBS...


FANTASTIC FOUR #11.  Images copyright MARVEL COMICS

Sufferin' Shad!  Take a long lingering look at the above pin-up from the 1962 issue of The FANTASTIC FOUR #11 - it's none other than the awesome avenging son of fabled ATLANTIS himself, PRINCE NAMOR The First, the sensational SUB-MARINER - mighty monarch of the seven seas!

TERRIFIC #1

This pulsating pin-up next appeared (in Britain) on the back cover (above) of TERRIFIC #1 in 1967, before turning up yet again in 1973 as a back page pin-up (below) in the collectors' item classic that every true believer should have, The MIGHTY WORLD Of MARVEL #15.

The MIGHTY WORLD Of MARVEL #15

It turned up again in The COMPLETE FANTASTIC FOUR #24 (below) in 1977, but this time was printed in black and white (with a little touch of Letra-tone), and lacked some of the 'punch' of the three earlier full-colour versions.  Still nice though.

The COMPLETE FANTASTIC FOUR #24

The next one (below) was produced by semi-regular reader and commenter Baab, who digitally coloured a picture of the original art after the MWOM version.  Didn't he do a good job?  He first showed it on his own blog, but I'm sure he won't mind me 'borrowing' it for mine. 

Bah Boy Blog.  (See comments)

I suppose the first two versions have more of an 'oceanic feel' to them due to the blue and green colour scheme, although the MWOM page had more of an impact on me at the time and is consequently the one I prefer.  Luckily, I'm not restricted to just one and can enjoy all of them depending on my mood.  Okay, you've had more than enough time to compare all four five of them - which one is your favourite?

Imperius Rex!

8 comments:

Dougie said...

The MWOM version has a aged look to it, thanks to the colouring, which gives it the feel of a painting. It's also the version I first saw, so it's my favourite.

I love the detail but also the imagination. I can't picture a similar page appearing in the muddy, photoshopped comics of today (even as a filler in one of Marvel's slender,lacklustre annuals).

baab said...

i love how namor has had an old ship fashioned into an entertainment centre!

I like the first pin-up for its clean look.

Steve Does Comics said...

As mentioned on The Glass Walking Stick, I had the MWOM version on my bedroom wall, so I'm going to have to go for that. Subby was always one of my favourites.

Kid said...

Dougie, baab and Steve, I'd like to see the MWOM version as sharp and as clean as the first one. Wouldn't that be something?

baab said...

i felt inspired and decided to colour the sharp image using the mwom as a loose template,I had a few hours to play.

I would have sent it to you but you dont publish your email,which is understandable.

I did use the images you posted on your blog,If you are unhappy about that I will remove the post.

http://bahboy.blogspot.com/?zx=88ae885431a5960d

Kid said...

I take the view that the copyright on theses images isn't mine, so I don't impose any restrictions on them. I'll take a wee look at your post and give you marks out of ten.

baab said...

I did a leisurely search of my own and found the original art on an auction site,and its wonderful

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=815&lotNo=3385#Photo

there is a larger sized one once you register with them,and it is very large,

also a scan of the pin-up in an issue of the ff from the american side.
http://joeypentax.blog.com/2011/05/17/fantastic-four-11/

I know your article is about the reprints ,I hope I am not distracting anyone,the original art is wonderful.

Kid said...

Thanks for the info, baab.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...