Monday 4 June 2012

PART SEVEN OF FANTASTIC COVER GALLERY...


Copyright MARVEL COMICS

And once again, for your delight and delectation, we present you with yet another half-dozen comic covers (and their bombastic back-page pin-ups) from the late, lamented ODHAMS PRESS POWER COMICS publication from the latter half of the swinging 1960s - FANTASTIC.  Yes, Fantastic - both the comic and the era.  If you were around back then and purchased this Power Pack paper, enjoy reliving the heady days of your youth.  If not, then allow yourselves to imagine what it was like to live through the era of 'the three Bs' - The BEATLES, BOND, and BATMAN.  Plus, of course, MARVEL COMICS - in their British Power Comics incarnation.

I associate all of these comics with the house and neighbourhood where I lived at the time, but a couple of them I have more specific memories of.  For example, I remember surreptitiously reading #38 during lessons in one of the annexe huts at school, and studying the cover while showing it to a friend in the playground during the mid-morning interval.  And I recall purchasing #39 on the Saturday my parents took my brother and me along with them to watch The SOUND Of MUSIC (two years after it was first released) in the LA SCALA cinema (now gone) in Glasgow's Sauchiehall Street.  If I remember correctly, I purchased a DANDY from the bus station kiosk that day as well.

Anyway, have fun re-experiencing whatever childhood memories of your own that the accompanying images may conjure up - the present will still be here when you decide to return. 












See Part Six here.

4 comments:

Nick Caputo said...

Kid,

Grat to see these covers. It looks like all the pin-ups are by Barry Smith, although the Plant-Man looks pretty awkward. Has Smith ever discussed his early work on the British reprints?

Kid said...

Hi, Nick. I would imagine that he must have at least commented on them at some point, in some interview or other, but unfortunately I've never read any.

If anyone knows which direction to point me in, feel free to do so.

Dougie said...

It was quite a thrill to see the Plant-Man poster for the first time in over forty years!

My earliest, clear memories date from that time: The Tomb of the Cybermen on BBC1 that Saturday.

P.S. Write Douglas Clark on that envelope to ensure it gets to me ( although I am the only Douglas on the staff).

Kid said...

I bet it didn't seem like forty-odd years on first glance 'though, did it, Dougie? That instant recognition takes you right back to the moment - then the intervening years push their way back to the front of the queue.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...