Monday 23 July 2012

ANOTHER SKETCH OF THE DAY...



For the 'sketch of the day' today, here's an old pencil sketch from 1980, which I drew standing up whilst looking down at the subject - who, incidentally, was reading my then-brand-new copy of HOW To DRAW COMICS The MARVEL WAY.  (Which I got autographed by STAN LEE eleven years later.)  However, lazy me couldn't be bothered drawing the book, so I blacked it out to avoid any unnecessary detail.  You'll have to take my word for this I suppose, but it was a perfect likeness and everybody knew who it was on sight.

The subject was rather gangly and the chair was quite low, so because of the angle I was observing from, it really did look as if he was too big for the chair.  Perhaps I should add in some background detail to give a better sense of perspective, but that can wait until I've watched some paint dry.  If you enlarge the picture, you'll see that it was drawn on the back of some computer print-out paper which just happened to be lying around in the subject's flat.

Not too bad for ten minutes work.

******

Update:  Below is a photo taken around a year or two after I did the drawing.  As you see, just like I said above, the chair is low and the subject is rather gangly - and the likeness is spot on.  I should draw for Crimewatch.

2 comments:

baggsey said...

That's an excellent sketch, Kid! Really like it.

Kid said...

Thanks, B. Not a bad sketch, but a very good likeness.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...