Sunday 2 September 2012

NOW HERE'S SOMETHING WITH A BIT OF 'DEPTH' TO IT... (NO CHARGE)


Here's an original 1966 ACTION MAN by PALITOY, in an original DEEP SEA DIVING SUIT also from the '60s.  The suit's rubber lining has long since deteriorated into crispy particles, as witnessed by the fact that when I posed him for this photo, it sounded like someone walking on gravel.  The 'plate' on the chest-piece originally bore the G.I. JOE logo, but it was blanked out on the British version.

If I remember correctly, my brother got the suit for his TOMMY GUNN figure by PEDIGREE, and I recall him filling up the deep ceramic washing sink in my grandparents' kitchen one Sunday and putting him through his paces.  Of course, this isn't the suit my brother had, but a replacement I acquired a good few years back.  It goes without saying that I've had it for far longer than my brother had the original one.

That sink has been gone many years, as have both my grandparents, but the memories remain as fresh and distinct as yesterday.

******

Interestingly, back around 1986, an old classmate moved into the top floor flat of the three-storey block my grandparents had lived in from 1964 to around 1979 or '80 (theirs was the ground floor flat).  I used to visit him on occasion, and so vivid were the memories that it really was like stepping back in time.  Ah, the good ol' days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had one of these for my G.I. Joe. They also made a frogman/scuba suit. The tight rubber wet suit on that was a pain to get on and off of the action figure. For me, another problem with both was that we never had a sink or tub deep enough to completely submerge the figure. Maybe it was intended for kids whose families owned swimming pools, or lived near a pond.

Kid said...

In the '60s, most houses in my town had two sinks. One for washing the dishes, etc., and another, deeper, one for hand-washing clothes. This is what my brother used. And you're right about that scuba suit. I think you were meant to sprinkle talcum powder inside it to help get it on. I think he also pulled off the hands and then pushed them back in again when the suit was on.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...