Thursday 6 December 2012

A FINE AND DANDY ANNUAL EVENT...

 
Copyright D.C. THOMSON & Co, Ltd
 
Just a reminder to all those who failed to grab a copy of THE DANDY's final issue that The Dandy Annual for 2013 is still available.  Currently on sale in Sainsbury's for a mere £3 (as is The BEANO Annual), the price is sure to come down the closer it gets to Christmas.  (If they have any copies of it left by then, that is.)
 
Packed with favourites old and new, it's a collectors' item as it's the last Annual to be issued while the weekly comic was still being published.  There's sure to be another one next year, so The Dandy isn't quite dead, destined to be resuscitated at least once a year for the foreseeable future.  (And no doubt there'll be the occasional 'Special' throughout the year.)
 

It's clear from the introduction and spiel on the back cover that the Annual was produced before the decision was taken to cancel the weekly, which makes it rather poignant and well-worth having.  STEVE BRIGHT's pitch-perfect imitation of DAVEY LAW's style on BERYL THE PERIL is a highlight of the book, and is to be highly commended.  About quarter of a century ago, I used to letter Steve's BRAD BREAK strip for NIPPER, and it was always a joy to do.  Nice to see he's still going strong.
 
So, don't just sit there - rush right out to Sainsbury's and buy your copy of The Dandy Annual 2013 - TODAY!

8 comments:

TwoHeadedBoy said...

It's on my Xmas list, only the Asda version - they're doing 3 for £10 on annuals so I'm after the Dandy, Beano and Oor Wullie annuals.

Meanwhile, are you aware of lasteverdandy.com? He's got LOADS of the last ever issue for £3.99 a pop, plus £2 postage. Just in case.

Kid said...

Yeah, I saw that, THB. I only ever wanted 2 issues 'though, and I've got 'em. Thanks anyway. Have you seen the crazy prices some people are forking out on ebay?

TwoHeadedBoy said...

Haven't got around to checking eBay yet, but I can imagine! My one from DC Thomson finally turned up, so I'll be writing about it within the next day.

Also got another from that website (for "preservation"), and then another one for my boss who doesn't know how to use the Internet.

Kid said...

Hope your boss is paying for her own copy, ya big sook. Someone paid £50 for the comic on ebay, and there are bids on others of up to (and probably past) £100, apparently.

TwoHeadedBoy said...

Yeah, he's paying, no worries there! Had a look at eBay, there's Buy It Now things for £30! Doesn't ANYONE know about that Scottish website?

I've been telling customers who're asking if we can re-order it to go to that site.

Kid said...

(Now why did I think your boss was a 'she'?) I think some people are panicking about having missed a copy and are just buying one where they can. Shame, really. They'll be kicking themselves when they learn about that website.

I don't know if it's true or not, but someone I know told me that an individual had paid DCT £150,000 to print 50,000 copies for him to sell. Heard anything about it? Maybe it's the guy who runs the website you mentioned?

TwoHeadedBoy said...

Think it is that guy - he was mentioned in the Metro today, Desmond Barr is his name.

Clever thing to do if you can afford it!

Kid said...

He should make around £50,000 profit (at least)if he sells them all. Still, if I had a spare £150,000 to start with, I'm not sure I'd speculate in such a fashion. He clearly doesn't need the money.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...