Monday 15 July 2013

CAPTAIN SCARLET ANNUAL COVERS...


Copyright relevant owner

A few posts back, I featured a couple of RON TURNER pages from the CAPTAIN SCARLET Annual for 1968, and it occurred to me that you might like to see the complete adventure.  So, that'll be appearing soon in an upcoming entry, followed by another titanic Ron Turner tale from the subsequent Annual for '69.  First, though, I thought you'd appreciate seeing the front and back covers for both books - so here they are in all their captivating glory.  (Sorry, don't know who the artist is - but isn't he good?!)






There was also at least one combined Captain Scarlet and THUNDERBIRDS Annual, but as it was neither one thing or the other, I've not included it here.  What I have included though, are the two CS Annuals for 1994 and '95.  The front and back covers were the same, so I've only shown one side of each book.


Strange to think that over a quarter of a century after his debut in hardcover form, SPECTRUM's best agent was once more enough of an attraction to warrant a further two Annuals - even if the '94 one did reprint three comic strip adventures and at least one text story from the '68 edition.  It's still nice to have though.


And remember, Crivs - SPECTRUM agent Captain Scarlet is indestructible - you are not, so do not try to emulate him!  

6 comments:

John Pitt said...

I had the first one plus there was an additional mini CS & The Mysterons annual that Christmas, 1967 featuring text stories only. Wish I still had them both. ( I might come across the elusive Captain Umber? ) JP.

Kid said...

I'll keep a look-out for that text story Annual, JP.

John Pitt said...

I got outbid on a copy at the last minute by a PENNY!! If you're interested there was also an Angels book at the same time, which mentioned a MODESTY Angel in one story!

Kid said...

I'll keep an eye out for that one too. Ta, JP.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kid

According to the Blueyonder website (see http://www.technodelic.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Annuals/Annuals01a.htm) the first two of those Captain SCarlet Annual covers might have been drawn by Frank Humphris, but they do have a question mark after his name.
Whoever drew them, though, you're right in saying that they're lovely.

David Simpson

Kid said...

DS, the first cover looks familiar to me. I have a feeling an extremely similar one (no doubt inspired by the annual) was used as the cover on one of the CS comics or albums back in the '90s.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...