Wednesday 16 October 2013

STRANGE TALES COVER GALLERY - PART ONE...


Images copyright MARVEL COMICS

Starting with the first issue (#110) of STRANGE TALES to feature DOCTOR STRANGE, we now take a trip through a gallery of nine covers from the aforesaid title.  (I've included #s 112 & 113, though the good Doc was absent in those particular issues.)  The series couldn't have inspired high hopes in the minds of its two creators, as STEPHEN STRANGE didn't appear on the cover until issue #118, but posterity recognises that these early LEE/DITKO tales were classics.

So what more is there to be said but - enjoy!








3 comments:

John Pitt said...

Never actually read any of these, as the first ST I discovered featured the , by then, regular Torch/Thing double-act. Of course, I caught up with all the Doctor Strange reprints in Terrific, but the Torch solo stories AND Captain America never got reprinted in Power comics , so I still have some Marvel gaps to fill in all these years later!

Nick Caputo said...

Ah, fond memories. I was busy collecting the Strange Tales run in the mid-late 1980's and recall one of the last issues of the Ditko Dr. Strange run was the issue cover featuring the Asbestos Man! I have an image of my friend Frank and I scouring a comic con searching for that issue, amused by the less than memorable Asbestos Man.

The figure of the Eel on the cover to ST 117 appears to be drawn by Ditko. The cover to #116 is dear to me, being one of the earliest comics to leave an inpression on my young mind. The dark colors by Stan Goldberg (who I was lucky enough to speak with last week at Doc V's celebration of his and Blake Bell's Secret History of Marvel Comics book at the Society of Illustrators, along with Al Jaffee: two of the finest creators and nicest people ever)added to the mood. It was part of what made Marvel stand out (and the Kirby cover sure didn't hurt!)

Kid said...

I hear Asbestos Man retired not long after - he was just burned out.

JP, I think some of those Torch/Thing tales popped up in MWOM, and I'm sure I've also got some MCIC mags which reprinted them in the '60s.

******

That's the advantage of living where you are, Nick - you get to meet such interesting people.

(Comment originally posted on 20 October 2013 at 22:10)



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...