Friday 18 October 2013

"WHERE DEMONS DWELL!"


Copyright MARVEL COMICS

As I gyrate through the streets of Glasgow, I have only one destination in mind - a comicbook shop!  Within its cool interiors I'm immediately met by a plethora of power-packed periodicals, books, and collectables, the very things to prompt my pulse into overdrive and bring me to the brink of a heart attack.  So many goodies, so little room left in my seemingly shrinking house.

THOR MASTERWORKS Volume 12 was a book I simply had to have, as well as the third printing of FANTASTIC FOUR OMNIBUS Vol 1.  Marvel now have all their books printed in China, and the new Omnibus volumes are much thinner than they used to be, meaning that they take up far less space on a bookshelf.  That's not the only reason I bought it though, so let me explain why I did.

Despite claiming to feature the 'highest quality reproduction ever', FF #1 apart, the issues presented in the first two printings were the same as in previous Masterwork editions, which left a little to be desired if I'm being completely honest.  However, this latest release is using the superior source material first utilised in the relatively recent Masterworks softcover books.  Everything is still not 100% perfect in a few of the later issues represented in this newest hardback collection, but it's probably the closest they'll get to anything near perfection for quite a few years yet.

Take a look at the first image below.  This is the dustjacket to the second printing from a few years back - look at SUE's face and hair (and other details, like the policeman and pedestrians) and then compare them with the second image below, this time from the newest printing.  See the difference?  I've even included close-ups to help you.  



As you can see, in the first pic, Sue's face and hair are far less detailed, and there are some slight differences between the two pics of the cop and bystanders.



To some people, of course, differences like these are trivial, but to conscientious collectors like myself, we prefer to have everything as near to the original printings of the mags as possible (as far as accuracy goes), but obviously on better quality paper.

But let us not forget the Thor book at the top of this post.  Containing issues #206-216, it features 11 titanic tales of Marvel's mightiest immortal, written by GERRY CONWAY and LEN WEIN, and illustrated by such legendary luminaries as JOHN and his brother SAL BUSCEMA, MARIE SEVERIN, DON PERLIN and JIM MOONEY.  A couple of pages is your lot, I'm afraid, as I've spoiled you enough for today.


5 comments:

John Pitt said...

When one of my daughters was at Newcastle uni I went up to visit her one day & as a treat she took me to the FP. Well I was like a kid in a sweetshop! I didn't know which way to turn! It was there that I discovered the Essentials & she offered to buy me one (bless her!) Yeah, it's the best shop in the world. And although the reproductions in the Masterworks are stunning, they don't give that nostalgic effect like the paler pulp originals. For me, the PERFECT reprints would simply be bundles of the original comics, ads, etc. & all in a protective hardback cover. Impossible, I know, as they'd be too thick, but I'd love to smell that pulp/ink mixture again when the comics are new!

PhilSee said...

Kid, you're speaking my language with your thoughts on reproduction quality in the collected editions! For my money the best trade-off between the superior print capabilities we have today and the feel of the original comics are the softcover editions of the Marvel Masterworks. I have the Fantastic Four collections from vols 5-9 (10 on pre-order)and aside from showcasing Kirby's best art (IMHO) the image quality meets that best of both worlds feel for me. Lately I have been pursuing some of the Gold Key titles in collected form and I must say the softcover Magnus collection was a bit of a let down in print quality, while the Star Trek collection was so much better. Different publishers but both printed in China, so go figure. So in one case the linework of the great Russ Manning was poorly served while Alberto Giolitti's art was captured much more faithfully. Though I suspect that the latter may have been really good scans from the original comics. By way of a curiosity I noticed that in one panel of the first issue of the Hulk in the Marvel Firsts 1960s he is coloured green while the Masterwork edition has the grey faced Hulk as he first appeared. Definitely not printed from the same source.

Kid said...

JP, as you say, there's just something about the smell of those old comics. I've mentioned before on this blog that, when I bought my Silver Surfer Omnibus, I pored over its pages admiring the superior printing, but then I dug out my originals to read. Weird, eh?

******

I think I'd agree with you about the softcover Masterworks, PS. You really should get FF Volume 1, as up until the 3rd printing of the Omnibus edition, it contained the best reproduction of the first 10 issues anywhere. (They both share the same source, but I prefer the softcover's paper.)

Regarding The Hulk #1, the first printing of Masterworks coloured him grey, but the rest of the book took certain liberties with the other colours. Then there was a back to print edition, which was completely recoloured (if I recall correctly - the covers certainly were) in line with the original '60s comic. Then there were the Omnibus and NEW softcover MW editions which mainly shared the same sources as each other.

However, the Marvel Firsts book used the same proofs for #1 as the most recent softcover Hulk MW volume, which was a retouched and recoloured version of the same proofs as the very first Masterworks edition back in the late '80s. Incidentally, it was that green panel that made Stan decide to colour the Hulk green in #2, when he noticed that the grey colour was printed too inconsistently in the first issue.

Moz said...

They should just scan the actual comics for accuracy. It works for Fantagraphics.

Kid said...

Some results are better than others 'though. DC scanned the 'Kryptonite Nevermore' series and the reproduction wasn't too hot.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...