Saturday 3 January 2015

SUPER DC TEXT STORIES - PART THREE...


Copyright relevant owner

D'you know, I'm not at all sure that I read any of these text stories when I first bought SUPER DC back in the early '70s.  I'd have to re-read them to see if they ring any bells in my memory, but nothing comes to mind when I glance at them today.  I recall reading the stories in the Annual, but not the ones in the monthly comic, so I'll have to sit down one day and work my way through them.

If I'm not mistaken, these stories were reprinted from TV TORNADO, a weekly comic from a couple or so years before, but the original versions covered three pages whereas the re-presentations were only allocated two.  Whether this was achieved by omitting some pictures or abridging the text, I'm not sure;  it could simply have been a case of using a smaller typeface, but my copies of TV Tornado aren't on hand for me to compare.

Anyway, here are six stories from #s 7-9 to keep you occupied for a while.  The remaining tales will be along in the not too-distant future.  That should give you all something to look forward to, hopefully.  (Assuming you want to see more.) 
  










6 comments:

Gey Blabby said...

I remember them from the sixties, so maybe I read the early versions you mentioned. Although the stories were obviously patterned after the telly, they didn't have any of the humour of the show.
The thing I remember most about them was the illustrations, in which the figures of Batman, Robin or Superman were drawn slightly awkwardly. It was only when I was a bit older and had been exposed to the sophisticated art of Adams, Novick and the others that I thought they must have been the work of British artists - maybe copied from American artists, as one of the Riddler illustrations looks like a crude Infantino copy.

Kid said...

I think that Mick Anglo drew some (if not all) of these illos himself, GB. Except when there were the occasional 'paste-ups' using figures by Norvick, Infantino and Boring, perhaps. I'll have to check as I scan them. When I look back to that time, these comics seemed to be around for a lot longer than just over a year. Curious, eh?

Gey Blabby said...

Time seemed to last longer in those days, Kid. The period when I was collecting Batman comics seemed to last for ages in my memory, but it was only really about five years, from about late 60s to 75 - or roughly the period when Adams was drawing the character.
Before that I was just happy to get any Batman content, like these stories, even if the accompanying artwork wasn't great. I used to love an old Batman jigsaw I was given as a present when I was about 4 or 5 years old - of Batman on a construction site - and yet I laugh at the artwork when I see it now - it seems almost quaint. I'm sure it too must have been a British version of the character.

Kid said...

What gets me, GB, is that I bought Wham! for just over a year (if, even), but when I think back it seems far longer than that, as if it were a significant period of my life. (Which childhood is, of course, but I mean time-wise.) I know that time seemed longer back then, but it still amazes me.

John Pitt said...

THANKS SO MUCH for continuing with this this series. I can't remember either which stories I read in both incarnations, so this is long overdue unfinished business for me.
Because of your sharing, your recent good fortune is now also MY good fortune!

Kid said...

There's no point in being selfish about such things, eh, JP?



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...