Tuesday 19 May 2015

HEY, KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT DALEKS?



Above is a MARX 'Bump'n'Go DALEK which sold on eBay recently.  You'll have noticed it's got a blue base and silver appendages.  Whenever I notice this version up for sale, it's usually described as being unable to accommodate modern 'C' type batteries in its battery compartment.

The two original Marx Daleks which I own have black bases and appendages, and new 'C' batteries fit into it with no problem at all.  (And no, they're not the DAPOL re-issues.)  Comparing pics of the blue-based battery compartment with that of a black-based one, there appears to be absolutely no discernible difference in size.

I'm wondering if the claim of new batteries not fitting is a convenient excuse to cover the Dalek not working, so that a seller can claim he couldn't check to see if it did or not as he was unable to get batteries to fit.  As the seller in that instance wouldn't be advertising it as a working model, that leaves the buyer with no comeback - sold as seen!

(Or could some sellers be so thick that they've tried to fit in the larger 'D' size batteries, not being aware that the smaller 'C' type still exists?  Unlikely, isn't it?) 

Later versions of this model had slimmer waistlines, but the two I have are the original thicker-waisted Daleks with the big, red-balled eyepiece.  Could the size of batteries have changed at some stage in the '60s, necessitating a larger compartment in the black-based Daleks, or are some sellers simply at it?  If you have one of these blue-based toys that works with new batteries, please let me know.

Oh, and did this toy come with instructions?  I've never seen any and there's none on the box.

Blue-base Dalek.  Plastic is blue, not sprayed

Silver-base Dalek.  Plastic is silver, not sprayed

DAPOL version takes 2 x AAs, unlike MARX original

13 comments:

DeadSpiderEye said...

I've never heard of batteries sizes becoming obsolete, I can recall pulling out eveready U2's from when I was a nipper, except that they were covered in paper and occasionally slime too. I think they're pulling your wire.

Unknown said...

It's easy , the battery compartment is different , it's for the thicker 60's batteries not pencil batteries

Unknown said...

Also , silver/blue base are spray painted as they used any plastic in the factory, they are first run .

Arfon Jones said...

Hello sir, I’m not completely ‘up’ on MARX 'Bump'n'Go Daleks so I posted a link to this page on my Facebook page and my friend Colin, said “It's easy, the battery compartment is different , it's for the thicker 60's batteries not pencil batteries” and Shaquille said, “The old HPII size IIRC, which I think are still available, just not as common as the AA/AAA are now. We're probably talking type D or C now...” http://www.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk/household-battery-testers/what-are-the-different-types-of-household-battery/

Hope this help sir. :)

Kid said...

I think so, too, DSE.

******

Thanks, CY, but Blue, black, and silver-based Daleks are all supposed to take the same type of battery - it's just that, in my experience, blue-based Dalek sellers claim that they can't get the batteries to fit. And although the early silver coloured Daleks were sprayed silver, the bases were blue plastic, not sprayed. The black Dalek's base was also silver plastic, not sprayed. I've added pics to demonstrate.

******

Thanks for the link, AJ. You're pal's got it wrong, I'm afraid (but full marks to him for responding), as it's only the Dapol re-issue that takes AA batteries, not the original Marx version. Someone's bound to know for sure.

Arfon Jones said...

No problem! (I see Colin actually joined in!) Thanks Col :)

John Pitt said...

http://dalekplanet.freeforums.net/
Kid, only loosely connected to this post, but, as you're a Dalek fan yourself, I'd like to formally invite you to join this new, friendly Planet Dalek Forum. You would be most welcome indeed! :-)

Kid said...

Ta for the invite, JP. Is it a blog you've set up or are you just a member of it?

John Pitt said...

It's a new site by Dalekfan, Allan Wootton, I joined it and was quite happy just being an "indian", then, out of the blue, he offered me the position of deputy, well, you know me and Daleks, so how could I refuse? So, obviously, I want to share the word with like - minded fans! I have already promoted your blog there, singing your praises, of course, and linking in all of your Dalek posts, ( hope you don't mind? )
Take a look around , see what you think!

Kid said...

Nope, don't mind you promoting my blog at all, JP. I'll take a look and think about joining 'cos I do like Daleks.

Anonymous said...

I have an original silver dalek by marx. WHat colour should the accessories be. Also going to make up a battery pack
What voltage should it be
Thanks Colin

Kid said...

If your Dalek has a blue base, the accessories should be silver/grey, if the base is black, the accessories should be black. Replicas of various quality accessories are sometimes available via eBay. My original Dalek takes JCB Super Alkaline LR14 x 2, each is 1.5 volts = 3 volts.

Kid said...

That's a 'C' type battery.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...