Monday 2 November 2015

OLIVER HARDY HAS A BAD BREAK...



In my local neighbourhood shops was once an establishment called STANLEY'S STORES.  It was a hardware store and contained a Post Office section, as well as selling a variety of household items.  At the time of this trivial, self-indulgent reminiscence, it wasn't my local neighbourhood, but the one next to it.  It had previously been the area in which I lived, but we'd moved in 1965 and weren't to return 'til '72, though that's neither here nor there, I suppose.

In this shop, tacked to the wall was a sign - the one you see above, in fact.  I recognized the LAUREL & HARDY figures as being in the style of the LARRY HARMON cartoon show of the famous comedy duo, which was then on TV.  It seemed likely that the sign's artist had copied them from the strip in TV COMIC, or the cover of the 45 rpm single of the theme tune (which I also had at the time).

Anyway, having noticed the sign on numerous occasions, I one day ventured to enquire whether I might have it.  Much to my surprise, I was informed that I could, and that's how it came to be in my possession.  I've owned it, at a guess, since around 1971 (perhaps even late '70 or early '72) and because the shop is long, long-gone, it's a nice reminder of a place that was once a familiar part of my past.

I bought my WADE porcelain YOGI BEAR (which I still have) from the same shop, perhaps even on the exact same day, so that's two items which conjure up images of a long-vanished era on which I look back with some fondness.  Do you have a similar link to your youth?  Then tell your fellow Criv-ites all about it, why dontcha?  Go on!

No comments:



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...