Monday 26 June 2017

THE BOND THAT NEVER WAS...


Cover art by PAUL MANN

Two decades ago, the producers of the James Bond movies hired legendary crime novelist Donald E. Westlake to come up with a story for the next Bond film.  The plot Westlake dreamed up - about a Western businessman seeking revenge after being kicked out of Hong Kong when the island was returned to Chinese rule - had all the elements of a classic Bond adventure, but political concerns kept it from being made.  Never one to let a good story go to waste, Westlake wrote an original novel based on the premise instead - a novel he never published while he was alive.

Now, nearly a decade after Westlake's death, Hard Case Crime is proud to give that novel its first publication ever, together with a brand new afterword by one of the movie producers describing the project's genesis, and to give fans their first taste of the Westlake-scripted Bond that might have been.

(From the dustjacket.  Emphasis mine.)

Available now from all good bookstores.  This one you gotta read, so don't deprive yourself.

******

And how's this for a spooky coincidence, Crivs?  When I scanned the cover, it came up as img007.  Appropriate or what?

2 comments:

John Pitt said...

No, but I tell you what IS a spooky coincidence, Kid! I have literally JUST finished another one of my mini-projects on all the "other" JB books, then I click on here and what do I see?
AND I hadn't got this one!!
I have jokingly called you Prof. X with your mutant mind many times!
Now I'm not so sure that it's a joke!!

Kid said...

Well, I'm sure there are quite a lot of people who would label me with an X, JP - though not in a positive way.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...